The Awards/Scholarship Committee is a standing committee of the Association responsible for the selection of all award and scholarship recipients.
The President-Elect shall oversee the committee.
The Committee consists of a Chair, a minimum of three (3) General Members, and the Sponsor (Association President-Elect). A person may only be a General Member of one committee/council at a time but may serve as an Associate member on multiple committees/councils.
IV. Committee Chair
The Committee Chair shall be chosen by vote of the Executive Committee from nominees submitted by the President-Elect. The Committee Chair serves as a voting member of the Board of Directors.
Length: The term of office is up to two years commencing on the day after the annual conference.
Expiration: Each year, the term of up to half of the Committee General Members shall expire.
Limit: The Committee Chair and General Members may not serve more than two consecutive terms. Active Associate Member may remain on the Committee indefinitely.
The Committee Chair shall submit an annual report to the President-Elect by September 1. The Committee Chair shall also submit updates to the Secretary as requested throughout the year.
The Committee Chair shall meet with his/her successor as soon as possible and as often as necessary for the new Committee Chair to certify that all pertinent committee information has been transferred and any necessary training/consultation has occurred to ensure the new Committee Chair can successfully assume responsibilities on the first day of office.
- Attend all required Association meetings.
- Maintain an approved list of award/scholarship descriptions, including eligibility requirements, award criteria, nomination/application processes available for printed and electronic publication.
- Complete an annual review to determine if existing awards/scholarships information should be updated, if any existing awards/scholarships should be terminated, and if any new awards should be recommended. Any changes to descriptions, eligibility requirements, criteria require approval by the Board of Directors.
- Establish an external annual calendar for awards/scholarships. The calendar should include nomination and application deadlines, notification dates, and award dates.
- Establish an internal annual calendar establishing the timeline of committee activities necessary to complete the work the committee.
- Regularly communicate awards/scholarships information to the entire membership via printed and/or electronic means to maximize the number of qualified candidates for each award/scholarship opportunity.
- Maintain a complete and up-to-date list of previous recipients available for printed and electronic publication.
- Communicate information regarding recipients including media, press releases, notification of school administrators, management, professional organizations, elected officials, etc. as appropriate.
- Manage the preparations and execution of an event designated to recognize recipients. Executive Director shall be responsible for making all awards available to all recipients by the start of the conference.
- Maintain regular communication as necessary for award/scholarship recipients to be considered for district and/or national awards.
- Perform duties as requested by the President-Elect.
- The Chair shall convene the committee in-person and/or electronically as necessary.
- Committee members are not eligible to receive awards during their service on the committee.
- One award per person per year.
- Candidates not selected should be contacted the next year and given the opportunity to update their application materials.
- List of awards in Constitution
X. Current Awards / Scholarships:
Teacher/Educator of the Year Awards
- Adapted Teacher of the Year
- Elementary Teacher of the Year
- Health Educator of the Year
- Middle School Teacher of the Year
- Secondary Teacher of the Year
- Dance Educator of the Year
- Recreation Professional/Leisure Educator of the Year
State Association Awards
- Honor Award
- Leadership Award
- Legacy Award
- Outstanding Student Award
- Special Contributor Award
- Young Professional Award
- Catherine Wolf Major of the Year Scholarships
- Jean Lee/Jeff Marvin Collegiate Scholarships
Revised and approved, October 2020, replaces all previous versions.