Any high school physical education teacher who meets the eligibility requirements and exemplifies the criteria below may be nominated for this award.
- Current membership in INSHAPE.
- Minimum of five years of teaching experience.
- Degree and certification in teaching.
- Full time teaching at time of application submission and selection.
- Minimum of 50% of total job responsibilities is teaching physical education at the high school level.
The applicant must be a teacher who:
- Conducts a comprehensive and diverse physical education (health or adapted) program that utilizes Essential Components and Physical Literacy (or Health Literacy) as reflected in SHAPE America Standards and Guidelines for K-12 physical education programs.
- Utilizes various teaching methodologies and appropriate instructional practices.
- Plans and implements innovative and diverse experiences to meet the needs of all students.
- Describes their utilization of Student Assessment, one of the essential components of physical education.
- Advocates for the profession, participates in professional development opportunities (such as, but not limited to: service through leadership, presentations, and/or writing).
Complete online application according to deadline on main Awards page.
Application requires one (1) letter of recommendation from applicant’s principal or colleague. The letter should be directly related to the award criteria.
Selection and Recognition Process
- The Awards Committee will select one award recipient from the pool of qualified applicants.
- Applicants will be notified by early Fall.
- The award will be presented at the State Conference in November.
- Award recipient is expected to present a session at the State Conference the following year.
Previous Award Recipients
2020 Beth Kriech
2019 Reese Ryzewski
2018 Matt Barker
2017 Kalie McKinley
2016 Katy McClure
2015 Adam Havice
2013 Kathy Newman Smith
2012 Gretchen Shafer
2011 LeAnn Haggard
2008 Deborah Riga
2007 Tod Held
2006 Lisa Miniear
2005 Keith Buetow
2004 Marlowe Mullen
2003 Ellen Mitchell
2001 Mary Jo McClelland
1994 Deb Frey
1993 Cathy Huntsinger
1992 Patricia Howard
1991 Peg Kiser
1990 Lee Ann Reed
1989 Jan Mock
1987 Darrell Taulmen
1986 Roberta Litherland
1985 Nancy Gerrard-Norris
1984 Gene Nesbitt
1983 Bernice Adkins