Any adapted physical education teacher who meets the eligibility requirements and exemplifies the criteria below may be nominated for this award.
- Current membership in INSHAPE.
- Minimum of five years of teaching experience.
- Degree and certification in teaching.
- Full time teaching at time of application submission and selection.
- Minimum of 50% of total job responsibilities is teaching adapted physical education.
- NOTE: A college/university adapted specialist may qualify for the state award providing there are no nominees who meet the eligibility requirements.
The applicant must be a teacher who:
- Models the comprehensive roles and responsibilities necessary to implement adapted physical education services that align to the Essential Components for Physical Education as reflected in the SHAPE America National Standards and Grade-Level Outcomes for K-12 Physical Education as it best meets individualize needs indicated in the Individualized Education Program and 504 plans.
- Purposely plans and successfully implements universal design for learning principles into daily lessons by differentiating instruction based on the diverse abilities of every student in each physical education class.
- Participates in a leadership/collaborative role that fosters an active healthy lifestyle beyond the physical education classroom (such as, but not limited to coaching, volunteering, developing programs and special events, and/or collaborating with families).
- Administers multi-confirming assessments and utilizes the data to develop and implement student Individualized Education Programs and 504 plans to guide instructional planning and decisions.
- Advocates for the profession, participates in professional development opportunities (such as, but not limited to: service through leadership, presentations, and/or writing).
Complete online application by April 1, 2021
Application requires one (1) letter of recommendation from applicant’s principal or colleague. The letter should be directly related to the award criteria.
Selection and Recognition Process
- The Awards Committee will select one award recipient from the pool of qualified applicants.
- Applicants will be notified by June 1.
- The award will be presented at the State Conference in November.
- Award recipient is expected to present a session at the State Conference the following year.
Previous Award Recipients
2019 Ryan Pepple
2018 Bethany Clegg
2017 Todd Krebs
2016 Amy Oliver
2015 Mark Markle