The Advocacy Committee is a standing committee of the Association. The committee’s mission is to advocate for healthy lifestyles by providing leadership and professional development opportunities that increase knowledge and sound professional practices. The committee serves to support legislative action, collaborate with like-minded associations, and communicate best practices.
The Past President shall oversee the committee.
The Committee consists of a Chair, a minimum of three (3) General Members, and the Sponsor (Association Past President). A person may only be a General Member of one committee/council at a time but may serve as an Associate member on multiple committees/councils.
IV. Committee Chair
The Committee Chair shall be chosen by vote of the Executive Committee from nominees submitted by the Past President. The Committee Chair serves as an ex officio, voting member of the Board of Directors.
Length: The term of office is up to two years commencing on the day after the annual conference.
Expiration: Each year, the term of up to half of the Committee General Members shall expire.
Limit: The Committee Chair and General Members may not serve more than two consecutive terms. Active Associate Member may remain on the Committee indefinitely.
The Committee Chair shall submit an annual report to the Past President by September 1. The Committee Chair shall also submit updates to the Secretary as requested throughout the year.
The Committee Chair shall meet with his/her successor as soon as possible and as often as necessary for the new Committee Chair to certify that all pertinent committee information has been transferred and any necessary training/consultation has occurred to ensure the new Committee Chair can successfully assume responsibilities on the first day of office.
- Attend all required Association meetings.
- Maintain an Association Policy Statement that describes the core tenets of the association. The Policy Statement describes what is most important for members to be successful in their profession. The Policy Statement should be updated annually by June 1.
- Maintain regular communication as necessary to keep association members informed of advocacy policies, initiatives, and opportunities.
- Create advocacy tools for members to advocate within their school districts.
- Provide professional development opportunities for members to become more effective advocates.
- Maintain a complete and up-to-date list of partners who may have the opportunity to support the association’s advocacy efforts.
- Collaborate with the advocacy efforts of Association partners.
- Monitor legislative affairs that impact health, physical education, recreation, and dance.
- Support key advocacy initiatives and public relations efforts as set forth in the Policy Statement.
- Plan and conduct a Legislative Summit at the Indiana State House.
- Ensure that at least one member of the association attends any relevant national advocacy events (i.e. SHAPE America’s Speak Out Day).
- Perform duties as requested by the Past President.
- The Chair shall convene the committee in-person and/or electronically as necessary.
- Revised and approved, February 2017, replaces all previous versions.